Founded in 2008, Gametion is one of the fastest growing companies in the Indian Gaming Industry. It is known for creating games that reach out to a variety of different audiences; something for everyone if you will. Their games are intended to be playable by various different age groups with each finding something to their liking.
Gametion has published multiple games for iOS & Android under their umbrella. Ludo King, one of their most successful game with 100+ Million user-base worldwide was migrated to AWS for handling increased traffic owing to increase in popularity. There was a need to release backend changes more and more frequently for small fixes or new features. Due to manual releases, it became hard to manage deployments across fleet of backend servers.
These were the high level challenges faced by Gametion team:
- No central code repository for mobile and backend application artefacts
- Multiple versions of code per developer
- Manual build and deploy
- Lack of streamlined release process
Flentas helped define and implement overall DevOps processes using AWS Services:
- AWS Code Commit was setup as a central code repository in cloud for versioning of code
- AWS Code Build was implemented for automating the dependency building of backend libraries
- AWS Code Deploy was setup with rolling deployment strategy for EC2 instances
- AWS Code pipeline was used to orchestrate the entire release pipeline for every code push on master branch
- Separate pipelines were created which triggered auto build and deployments for different environments (Dev, QA and Production) respective to git branches (Git Flow)
- Developers, Testers and Operations teams collaborate more effectively and transparently by being a part of the same automated process
- Increased frequency of releases which accelerated product improvement at a faster pace
- Automatic release and deployments reduces human errors and increases reliability
- AWS DevOps services have a pay-as-you-go pricing model and are server-less which makes them less burdensome from cost and maintenance perspective.